About Me

My photo
Canberra-based naturalist, conservationist, educator since 1980. I’m passionate about the natural world (especially the southern hemisphere), and trying to understand it and to share such understandings. To that aim I’ve written several books (most recently 'Birds in Their Habitats' and 'Australian Bird Names; origins and meanings'), run tours all over Australia, and for the last decade to South America, done a lot of ABC radio work, chaired a government environmental advisory committee and taught many adult education classes – and of course presented this blog, since 2012. I am the recipient of the Australian Natural History Medallion, the Australian Plants Award and most recently a Medal of the Order of Australia for ‘services to conservation and the environment’. I live happily in suburban Duffy with my partner Louise surrounded by a dense native garden and lots of birds.

Sunday 4 November 2012

Odd Bathfellows

This one falls into the category of 'not realising what you've got until later'. Three grumpy old bachelor bull Cape Buffaloes were sharing a very muddy wallow near a track in Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda. They weren't particularly thrilled to be ogled, and mentioned as much to us. 

I liked the snap of the bloke tossing his head at us - and even more when I saw the bullfrog (so-called by our very knowledgeable South African guide) in the foreground. I wouldn't have thought it was an attractive waterhole to him, but maybe he just liked the company.

Back tomorrow!

No comments: